Re: Version requirements for dependancies

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 11:18:15PM +0700, Robert Elz wrote:
[...]
> Was there anything in my message that you actually disagree with?
> (other than the first point in your reply and this message of course.)

I might have disagreed with some stuff in your mail but I've tried
reading it to the end twice, and woke up with my neck in a painful angle
the two times.

To sum up, I think your point is that no package in pkgsrc properly
describe the versions it needs from its dependency.  This is true, but
then it is completely impossible to have that.  Sure, a package can
"know" to some extent what past versions of a package it can work with,
but there is no way it can accurately know about future versions.

The points you're missing, I think, are first that it is not exactly
what we need to make pkgsrc works better.  Close, but not quite.  The
second point is that this issue shows up in partial upgrades, which are
hard to get right, and as a matter of fact I think only pkgsrc (and
maybe FreeBSD's and OpenBSD's ports to some extent) try to do that.

Binary package systems only have to care about ABI, and this is much
easier to do with only binaries given a proper update tool.

What pkgsrc lacks at this point, is build information embedded in
binary packages (or rather, installed packages, which is essentially the
same).  When you update or build from the pkgsrc tree a package that
depends on another package already installed, it should use information
embedded in the installed pacakge to build.  But that is also very hard
to do.

That said, I'd rather see pkgsrc developers work more on providing a
better experience for binary packages users (or, as I am sure some would
say, *an* experience in the first place) than making partial upgrades
work better.  Not that it stops me from ranting about the latter every
now and then, because short of having a binary package repository, and
not willing to update packages all the time, partial upgrades are still
what works best.

Hey, reader, wake up!  No, don't complain, subscription to this list
doesn't come with a masseuse.

--
Quentin Garnier - cube%cubidou.net@localhost - cube%NetBSD.org@localhost