gnumeric not printing right?

I just updated a netbsd-4 system with pkg_rolling-replace to head of
pkgsrc.  Printing a normal spreadsheet with gnumeric gets me an image
that is a 1 inch horizontal line in the middle of the paper with about
1/8 inch mark on the left.  Crude ascii art:

   -------------

This happened on paper and then with print preview and print-to-file.
There is nothing odd about this spreadsheet that I know of.  On another
spreadsheet I get

Error: PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Error: Couldn't read xref table
Error: PDF file is damaged - attempting to reconstruct xref table...
Error: Couldn't find trailer dictionary
Error: Couldn't read xref table

when previewing.

I tried to print another spreadsheet on a not-quite-NetBSD-current box
and things look highly compressed (as in whole page in 1/8 of inch).  So
I am suspicious that printing in gnumeric is gnerally messed up.