pkg_install marked not for deletion - possible improvements

pkg_install is marked "not for deletion", for good reasons by itself.
But it causes lots of trouble when you want to upgrade it. "make
replace" is the only way to do it, it seems. (if you have a binary
package, I don't recall exactly, but I think it was something like
pkg_add -u -f)

This however still has the trouble that the old package is still
registered as installed, so after a while you end up with multiple
pkg_install versions. This confuses tools which look for out of date
packages, and for each of them (except possibly the latest) it wants to
update it.

I have played a bit with pkg_delete and it turns out that "pkg_delete -f
-O" (-O Only delete the package's entries from the package database, do
not touch the package or its files itself.) does the trick of removing
registrations of old versions.

Can this be done automatically by "make replace" in
pkgtools/pkg_install ? In fact, "make install" should do a "make
replace" there.

Similarly for binary packages of course.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert    -- You author it, and I'll reader it.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl      -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.