Re: LICENSE= public-domain

Leonardo Taccari <leonardo1990%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 09:20:57AM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>> I got an error trying to build sqlite3 because "LICENSE=public-domain".
>> Why is such status worth an error and the need for a line in mk.conf?
>> What are we trying to protect against here?  (In fact, what it
>> interrupted was a build of kde3 that I wanted to finish overnight....)
>>
>> Sure, put a comment in the Makefile.  But I don't see the need for an
>> error.
>
> I think because at the moment DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES is not
> implemented.
>
> Usually packages with Open Source or Free Software licenses have got
> LICENSE commented ("make help topic=LICENSE" confirms that) so IMO
> for databases/sqlite3 should be the same.

Leonardo has it exactly right.  We don't yet have
DEFAULT_ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES set to the list of Free and Open Source
licenses.

I modified sqlite3 to comment out the LICENSE line, making it similar to
lots of packages with commented out GPL, BSD, etc.

(I realize that public domain is not a license, but we can treat it as a
license without any great difficulty.)