Re: generic NPAPI plugin location (and gnash and firefox3)

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

For next week or so, my wife continually complained about firefox locking
up, not working, dieing, and system very slow. I found that gnash and
firefox were making browsing near impossible. While some website's flash
worked, others didn't. There were some core dumps (which I still need to
analyze). I removed the plugin symlink and no longer have flash support.
But at least firefox and the system are reliable and fast again. (And she
reminded me -- that we had same firefox/flash problems before -- but that
was real "Flash" on Ubuntu which I also disabled because made Ubuntu
unusable. On that note, NetBSD's sane defaults allowed the system to
still be usable while on Ubuntu the entire system was overwhelmed.)

        I've found the 'Flashblock' firefox add-in very useful for that,
        it replaces any flash with a button you can click to enable that
        specific flash object, plus you can globally enable it for
        certain sites. Works with gnash or real flash plugin...