Re: generic NPAPI plugin location (and gnash and firefox3)

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> (My friend came to my house and later asked my if I had shockwave/flash.
> He had spent some time following the links in firefox and then adobe's
> website but couldn't get it installed.)
>
> Well I have firefox3 installed on NetBSD/amd64 HEAD. I had gnash installed
> too.
>
> So I did:
>
> sudo ln -s /usr/pkg/lib/firefox/plugins/libgnashplugin.so \
>       /usr/pkg/lib/firefox3/plugins/.
>
> (Note the "3" above.)
>
> Killed firefox. Restarted firefox (clicked the button to reopen the saved
> sessions).
>
> And it worked. The gnash worked for whatever site my friend was using.

Just a follow up (but not related to my "generic NPAPI plugin location"
goal of this thread).

For next week or so, my wife continually complained about firefox locking
up, not working, dieing, and system very slow. I found that gnash and
firefox were making browsing near impossible. While some website's flash
worked, others didn't. There were some core dumps (which I still need to
analyze). I removed the plugin symlink and no longer have flash support.
But at least firefox and the system are reliable and fast again. (And she
reminded me -- that we had same firefox/flash problems before -- but that
was real "Flash" on Ubuntu which I also disabled because made Ubuntu
unusable. On that note, NetBSD's sane defaults allowed the system to
still be usable while on Ubuntu the entire system was overwhelmed.)