Re: Evolution is missing icons in GUI and crashes - maybe dbus issue

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 22:03:00 -0500
"Doctor Who" <whodoctor%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> Perhaps this is really a dbus question.  When I run 'dbus-uuidgen
> --ensure'  I get an error that /var/lib/dbus/machine-id does not exist
> (which it doesn't).  It appears that I already have dbus installed and
> installing again shows it as manually installed.  I have put
> 'dbus=yes' in /etc/rc.conf and restarted the machine.  I don't have a
> /etc/rc.d/dbus file that I can use to start the service manually
> (which gives me pause).  Also, I googled where someone created this
> file by moving it from /usr/share/examples/rc.d/dbus but I don't have
> that either.

I was getting ready to post a similar query about dbus -- I ran into
the same issue when building a package for straw (an RSS feed
aggregator.)  I tend to think that nothing in pkgsrc should be using a
directory in /var/lib.  That said, you should
have /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d/dbus -- pkgsrc generally puts things
under /usr/pkg -- and that's the file that should be copied
to /etc/rc.d.