Re: Evolution is missing icons in GUI and crashes - maybe dbus issue

On Jan 16, 2008 8:55 PM, Doctor Who <whodoctor%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> When I start evolution from a console, the GUI appears briefly and
> then crashes.  While it is up, I can see that where icons *should* be
> it is showing white pages with red Xs.  This is what I see in the
> console:
>
> $ /usr/pkg/bin/evolution &
> $ CalDAV Eplugin starting up ...
> ** (evolution:4989): DEBUG: mailto URL command: evolution %s
> ** (evolution:4989): DEBUG: mailto URL program: evolution
>
> (evolution:4989): e-spinner.c-WARNING **: Throbber animation not found
>
> (evolution:4989): e-spinner.c-WARNING **: Throbber fallback animation
> not found either
> calendar-gui-Message: launch_alarm_daemon_cb(): EOF from child process
>
> (evolution:4989): e-data-server-WARNING **: Could not open converter
> for 'utf8' to 'UTF-8' charset
> process 4989: D-Bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed
> to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": No
> such file or directory
> See the manual page for dbus-uuidgen to correct this issue.
>   D-Bus not compiled with backtrace support so unable to print a backtrace
>
> This is NetBSD 4.0 on an x86-32 machine.  Evolution is installed via
> pkg_src from 2007Q4.
>
> Thanks for any help with this.  I'm a new NetBSD user.

Perhaps this is really a dbus question.  When I run 'dbus-uuidgen
--ensure'  I get an error that /var/lib/dbus/machine-id does not exist
(which it doesn't).  It appears that I already have dbus installed and
installing again shows it as manually installed.  I have put
'dbus=yes' in /etc/rc.conf and restarted the machine.  I don't have a
/etc/rc.d/dbus file that I can use to start the service manually
(which gives me pause).  Also, I googled where someone created this
file by moving it from /usr/share/examples/rc.d/dbus but I don't have
that either.

Again, thanks for any help.