Re: HEADS UP: security/audit-packages removal

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008, Adrian Portelli wrote:

Greg Troxel wrote:
Adrian Portelli <adrianp%stindustries.net@localhost> writes:

Unless there are any major objections I'm going to remove
security/audit-packages from pkgsrc on 13th January.

The current pkgtools/pkg_install package provides new functionality and
better performance than the current audit-package package.

Is it the case that on all installed systems with pkgtools in the base
system, that either a) pkgsrc will object to the tools as old and force
pkg_install from pkgsrcrc or b) the base system tools include
audit-packages?  If that's true, sounds fine to me.

If you're running NetBSD HEAD dated after 20070714 you will have the new
audit-packages files in the base system.  You can still install
pkgtools/pkg_install if you wish, as they will install to ${PREFIX} and
pkgsrc will use them in preference to the pkg_install in the base.

As of pkg_install-20070714 security/audit-packages and
pkgtools/pkg_install will conflict as they both install the same
audit-packages files.  So, if someone is running security/audit-packages
and they wish to upgrade after I remove the package from CVS it's a
simple matter of 'pkg_delete audit-packages' and install an updated
pkg_install.

I'm unclear on the whole thing. On my -current system, audit-packages
does nothing. Well, it does something but doesn't indicate anything.
What am I supposed to be doing to check my packages on -current?

I'm also sane and run "stable" versions of netbsd on several
"production" servers rather than -current. What do I use instead of
audit-packages?

Apparently something changed and I missed the notification, or perhaps
it was all decided on netbsd-core and the regular folks have no idea
what's going on. (Yes, this is yet another ignored complaint about
netbsd-core's opacity.)

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd%twofifty.com@localhost