Re: gnome-settings-daemon problem

David H. Gutteridge wrote:
Dennis den Brok wrote:
Huub <huubvanniekerk%gmail.com@localhost> schrieb:
Huub wrote:
Running NetBSD 3.1/i386, for some reason I get the message "gnome-settings-daemon" when I start gnome or want to adjust settings. Also, some icons have disappeared. How can I solve this? What packages should I check with pkg_info (and how to compare installed vs. available)?

Thanks.

Correction: message is "Unable to start the settings manager 'gnome-settings-daemon".

Random guess: Make sure you have dbus, famd and rpcbind running.
Cf. /usr/pkg/share/examples/rc.d.

I'm seeing this problem on a clean install of NetBSD 4.0_RC5/macppc.
I searched through Google and see many Linux users complaining of this
issue over the past three years, with various suggested remedies...

The problem is that the real error message is hidden from you. Try
this from a command prompt:
# /usr/pkg/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon

The usual error message I see is about a missing library file, in which
case the solution is to recompile the control-center package.