Re: iSCSI, lvm, storage and the future

On Dec,Saturday 8 2007, at 3:45 PM, Alistair Crooks wrote:

Hi guys,

I've been talking to various people about storage and NetBSD, and I
think we're way out in front of all the rest of the open source
projects.

So I'd like to make a big thing of our storage story, of what we have
now, and where we're going with it. So I'm going to do a storage roadmap
for NetBSD, and put that up on the website.

This won't have dates beside it, for obvious reasons, but I expect we'll start looking at branching 5.0 sometime in February/March, and so having as many components of the storage side of NetBSD in place by then would
be good.

So my take on various elements is as follows:

1. iSCSI - there, running, we have initiator and target. target needs
dynamic management, initiator needs boot support. Snapshot support
in target will be there RSN. RAID1 rebuild, hot swap addition and removal
need to be done.

Also raid5 resize would be good.

2. To manage these, we need LVM - the Lunix one would seem to be the
best option. Adam - how is this work going? If you want others to work
on parts of it, please let me know. If you need a cvs repo, let me know,
we can use one of mine - I have a setup in New York at Panix, and one
at home here in the UK, I can let you have commit access to either.

I have tested old lvm kernel code and it is not compatible with new libdevmapper nad lvm2tools. libdevmapper and device-mapper device now uses new comunication protocol.

There are 2 options how to deal with this situation:
1) update current lvm code to support new libdevmapper-dm comunication protocol. 2) use old lvmtools and libdevmapper (ported by cl@) and update this later.

I thought that I will use monotone for this. I know how to work with it and it works fine for me. But I can use cvs repo, too.

3. We need more file systems, and especially some more up to date
ones. I am working behind the scenes to get physical block logging
modifications to ffs. I have no idea if this will come off, it will
depend on things outside my control. We need a back-up plan for this.
ZFS can be done by refuse_lowlevel, which is a few days away from
being committed. Other file systems have been made much easier by
pooka's rump, but they still need to be worked on. We need support
for checksummed metadata which doesn't compromise performance,
distributed, clustered, journalled, and fast file systems which
are not subject to a 2 TB limit. I know Greg has some ideas on
this front, as have I.

4. Everything else I've missed.

So lvm2 is a major priority, cleaning up the iSCSI stuff is next,
and maybe new file systems come in between that.

All feedback and progress gratefully received.

IMO wedges need much more testing, and we need documentation utilities for it.

I have worked with ext3 support in my tree and it is pain, because there is no documentation about how linux jbd works internally therefore I think that we should try to port some really well documented fs e.g. Mathew Dillon Hammerfs ?

Regards

Adam.