/usr/X11R6 symlink for modular-xorg

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> > The symlink seems to be /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/pkg.
>
> That is correct for modular X.org.

I didn't have this symlink; I had a bunch of empty directories,
apparently from NetBSD's base.tgz.

> May I ask why you don't correct the symlink?

That question wasn't addressed to me, but:  Where is it documented that
I need to do anything to /usr/X11R6 wne using modular xorg?

I'd suggest:

* NetBSD's base.tgz should stop creating anything under /usr/X11R6;
* NetBSD's xbase.tgz should do that instead, for people using
  NetBSD's xsrc.
* One of the many modular-xorg-* packages in pkgsrc should
  have a MESSAGE file telling the user to convert any pre-existing
  /usr/X11R6 into a symlink.
* If it's possible to make the modular-xorg-* packages depend on
  something that refuses to install if the user hasn't fixed the
  symlink, that would be even better than a paragraph in a MESSAGE file
  (which scrolls past too fast for most people to read).

--apb (Alan Barrett)