Re: ssh x-forwarding doesn't work with the current X setup in pkgsrc

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Matthias Scheler wrote:

On Sun, Dec 02, 2007 at 10:03:08AM -0800, Hisashi T Fujinaka wrote:
I may have things misconfigured (again) but ssh is looking for xauth in
/usr/X11R6 which, on my system, is a link to /usr/pkg/xorg.

That seems to be relict of a previous installation of monolithic X.org
which has been removed from "pkgsrc" a while ago.

Ah, well, nobody pointed this out.

Unfortunately, all my xorg stuff seems to be mixed into the usual
/usr/pkg hierarchy without the extra xorg directory.

This is how it is supposed to be with modular X.org which replaced
monolithic X.org.

The symlink seems to be /usr/X11R6 -> /usr/pkg.

That is correct for modular X.org.

Nobody pointed this out, either. Modular xorg was a patchwork for a
while and it took some doing to get it working. At the same time x11 was
kind of abandoned and so was non-modular xorg. At least that's what it
seemed like to this user.

This breaks X forwarding using ssh.

May I ask why you don't correct the symlink?

Because I didn't know where the link came from and nobody sent out a
"heads up for this problem" email. It was probably discussed on the
SECRET CORE MAILING-LIST if anywhere.

If anyone else sees this, I'll send a pr.

I'm sorry I don't think there is any reason to send a PR. sshd(8) in
NetBSD's base system looks for "xauth" in "/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth"
which is where that command is located in the NetBSD X11 distribution.
There is IMHO nothing wrong with that behavior.

You have two options to fix that:
1.) Correct the symbolic "/usr/X11R6".
2.) Add "XAuthLocation /usr/pkg/bin/xauth" to "/etc/ssh/sshd_config"
   and run "/etc/rc.d/sshd reload" afterwards.

Yes, this is true. However, this wasn't documented anywhere in current
or release.

I know. That's what I get for using -current, but the reason I use
netbsd is the documentation.

--
Hisashi T Fujinaka - htodd%twofifty.com@localhost