Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4

On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:51:15AM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
> } Personally I would like to get rid of the special casing of NetBSD here.
> } Means no pkg_install in base at all. If the requirements for that are
>
>      Yes, I know you would, but I disagree.  pkgsrc is NetBSD's
> packaging system.  It must be made simpler to use, not more complex.
> NetBSD users should not have to jump through hoops in order to use it.
> Really, we should be looking at stablising pkg_select (or something
> like it) and adding it to pkg_install, which should stay in base.

So let's reiterate the problem. NetBSD insists on shipping pkg_install
with base. pkg_install gets updated in pksrc for new features. NetBSD
users now have a problem.

(a) Overwriting /usr/sbin/pkg_* is bad -- you update your world and you
now have a different version, completely unexpected.

(b) pkg_install could move away the old version in /usr/sbin. Same issue
as (a).

(c) User modifies PATH or adds aliases.

(d) pkg_install gets dropped from base. Oh wonder, now we have the same
situation as on all other pkgsrc platforms.

Joerg