Re: Updating pkg_install on NetBSD 4

On Feb 14,  9:28am, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
} On Sun, Sep 23, 2007 at 02:33:48PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:
} > } > Due to the default settings for $PATH the old versions in /usr/sbin are
} > } > still the ones that are picked up.
} > }
} > } On the command line or by pkgsrc? pkgsrc itself should pick up the new
} >
} >      The answer to this question is rather obvious.  Given that
} > /usr/pkg/* comes rather late in the default path, the new stuff won't
} > be picked up by default.
}
} pkgsrc itself should do the right thing already. I've referenced
} PKG_TOOLS_BIN exactly for the case where it doesn't. I would be
} interested to here about that though. A good intermediate solution
} between altering PATH and removing the base version is adding some
} aliases to your shell config.

     No, not really.  It still means that users have to jump through
extra hoops to effectively use pkgsrc.

} > } version, otherwise you can set PKG_TOOLS_BIN to /usr/pkg/sbin.
} >
} >      Why should anybody have to do something like this?  Yes, pkgsrc is
} > portable to many systems.  But, first and foremost, it is NetBSD's
} > packaging system.  It MUST work completely seemlessly on NetBSD!
}
} Personally I would like to get rid of the special casing of NetBSD here.
} Means no pkg_install in base at all. If the requirements for that are

     Yes, I know you would, but I disagree.  pkgsrc is NetBSD's
packaging system.  It must be made simpler to use, not more complex.
NetBSD users should not have to jump through hoops in order to use it.
Really, we should be looking at stablising pkg_select (or something
like it) and adding it to pkg_install, which should stay in base.

}-- End of excerpt from Joerg Sonnenberger