Re: Adding more PRIVILEGED_STAGES entries

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 07:15:34PM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 07:02:53PM +0200, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 06:25:47PM +0200, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
> > > I would like to commit that if there are no objections.
> >
> > I would prefer if we stop with this cludge and continue to work on the
> > DESTDIR support. For Thunderbird it should be trivial to add, given that
> > Firefox has the necessary changes. I'm looking at doxygen and
> > dependencies right now.
>
> Thats your position, but I would like to remove my local patches so
> it works out of the box.

Sure and DESTDIR support provides the very same thing and more -- with
less issues like asking only once for the root password.

> DESTDIR support maybe one way, but I don't see how do it now for
> everything or a migration way for it.

Adding DESTDIR support is work in progress -- I think with one or two
exceptions every package I am using on my notebook supports it now.
That includes at least one of the original critial packages for make
clean (python24). There's not much about migration, set
USE_DESTDIR=full, get a new enough pkg_install and run make
package-install instead of package or install. It will be used whereever
it is supported and the traditional mechanism be used instead.

Looking at the current list of packages, it would be really nice if ezm3
can be tought to handle DESTDIR as the only other user of
PRIVILEGED_STAGES in the tree is python* and those are rather easy to
fix.

Joerg