Re: pkgsrc on opensolaris - is gcc rebuild still required?

On Jul 9, 2007, at 7:57 AM, Jonathan Groll wrote:

The pkgsrc users guide says (relevant up to and including solaris 9)
"It is recommended that an external gcc be used only for bootstrapping,
then either build gcc from lang/gcc or install a binary gcc package,
then remove gcc used during bootstrapping."

Is this advice still relevant? I'm running with a recent opensolaris
build (solaris 11, nevada) which comes with the sun freeware version of
gcc  - 3.4.3.

Is there any merit to using the pkgsrc gcc, or is the 'external' gcc
sufficient?

I wouldn't use gcc at all. We use the pkgsrc framework to build most of our 3rd party binaries for our Solaris 10 machines (and some development Open Solaris boxes) and I use Sun Studio 11 (or 12) to do the work. It has been quite reliable, though, to get 64 bit binaries, I've had to do a good bit of tweaking. To get your standard 32 bit builds going with Sun Studio, you need to set
PKGSRC_COMPILER=        sunpro

in your mk.conf to try it out.

./mk

--