Unnecessary rebuilding of dependencies on dynamic binding

Hi,

Is there any way to get pkgsrc to _not_ rebuild all the dependencies
for a dynamic library (same version being rebuilt because of zlib
issues)? From reading the guide, it seems proper usage of ABI/API
DEPENDS would help solve this, but there doesn't seem to be any
distinction between static dependencies (any change requires a rebuild)
versus dynamic dependencies (only rebuild if API/ABI changes) in terms
of how executables are linked.

I just did a 'make update' for libglade2 because it was built before I
added PREFER_PKGSRC = zlib to /etc/mk.conf and now it is rebuilding
loads of dependencies that should not be affected since they are
dynamically linked with the libraries (I assume this is the default)
and rebuilding the same version of the library should not affect them
(seems to be correct given my assumptions).

Thanks