Mac OS X: math/R doesn't install files

The R package uses GNUmake to run "gnumake install" on Mac OS X, but this results in no files being installed:

        ===> Installing for R-2.4.1nb2
        => Generating pre-install file lists
        => Running PRE-INSTALL script actions
        gnumake[1]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
        gnumake[1]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
        installing doc ...
        /usr/bin/install -c -m 644 ../NEWS
"/Volumes/pkgsrc/pkg/R.framework/Versions/2.4/Resources/doc"
        installing doc/html ...

The full build log is available at http://www.feyrer.de/Misc/R-mac.log

I've looked at the package's installation on NetBSD, the GNUmake installed from the gmake package works fine there. I've tried installing devel/gmake manually and then ran "gmake install" inside the work-directoy, but the effects were the same.

FWIW, I'm using pkgsrc and installed packages via a .dmg file that's formatted as case-sensitive HFS+.

How to kick gnumake/gmake into doing its work?

 - Hubert