Re: Opera broken on NetBSD4/i386?

On 24/05/07, Loic Hoguin <essen%dev-extend.eu@localhost> wrote:
On Fri, 25 May 2007 00:20:01 +0200, Holger Weiss <lists%jhweiss.de@localhost>
wrote:

> * Loic Hoguin <essen%dev-extend.eu@localhost> [2007-05-25 00:02]:
>> Opera is broken on NetBSD4/i386, pkgsrc current.
>> Netbsd 4.0BETA_2 was taken from the daily builds 3 days ago.
>>
>> I have the following errors:
>>
>>   shmget: Cannot allocate memory
>>   shmget: Cannot allocate memory
>>   shmget: Cannot allocate memory
>>   shmget: Cannot allocate memory
>>   shmget: Cannot allocate memory
>>   shmget: Cannot allocate memory
>>   opera: Failed to allocate shared memory 65536
>
> I've seen this after upgrading to Opera 9.20 on NetBSD 4.99.19,
> increasing the available SysV IPC memory made Opera happy again:
>
>       $ sysctl -w kern.ipc.shmmaxpgs=16384

Thanks for your reply.

This command does remove the error messages, but does not resolve my
problem. I noticed it is not entirely broken too.

If I try to load a webpage from an IP address (like my local server),
it works.

If I try the same with an hostname added to /etc/hosts, it works too.
It works even if the server is not local.

If I try with an hostname from a DNS server it doesn't work.

Any chance you have got some rogue /usr/pkg/emul/linux/etc/resolv.conf file?

As for the others, I have

maxusers        128
options         CHILD_MAX=640
options         OPEN_MAX=256
options         SHMMAXPGS=32000
options         SHMSEG=128
options         SEMMNI=128
options         SEMMNS=512
options         SEMMNU=128
options         SEMMAP=128
options         SEMUME=128

in my GENERIC.local (AFAIR from the time I ran some heavier database
tests) and Opera has always worked just fine, including name
resolution, both at home with DHCP and in the office - fixed IP with
NIS and DNS.

BTW I just hacked the local package to get version 9.21, which works
fine. Also if you have   Sun jre installed, you can modify
/usr/pkg/emul/linux/usr/bin/opera to search for the Java environment
there (obviously the original script from Opera does not check for
/usr/pkg/java/sun-1.5) and Java works just fine with it.

Other applications (like elinks) doesn't have any problem.

--
Loïc Hoguin
Dev:Extend

Chavdar Ivanov