Re: Bulk packages for Darwin/i386?

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 09:14:31PM +0200, Jaromir Dolecek wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:23:17PM +0100, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> > or unresolved symbols. The GNU toolchain doesn't complain about such
> > a problems and they remain undetected under Linux (or NetBSD)
> How difficult is generally to fix those?

It depends. Fixing broken home-grown makefiles is usually not to
difficult once you know the necessary options.

> Just matter of using libtool?

Either that or the above.

> Are there any general guidelines how to deal with binary-only,
> .dmg style distributed software, such as opera?

You could handle ".dmg" with "hdiutil". But to be honest I simply use
the disk image without "pkgsrc". That's how I install Firefox on my
Mac OS X system.

> I've seen some unofficial results:
>
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-bulk/2006/03/13/0008.html

These results are really ancient. And the bulk build was run when Darwin-i386
system weren't on the market very long. A lot of things should have been
fixed in the meantime (not only for Darwin-i386 but also for Darwin-powerpc).

> Is there any reason a binary bootstrap isn't available for Darwin/i386?

Probably because nobody has made one. I don't have a Darwin-i386 system.
If you have one you could run both "mkbinarykit" and a bulkd build
and make the results publically available.

        Kind regards