Re: Conflicts when building two packages at the same time

To work around this, do:

$ make fetch-list | tee ~/somefile.txt

The 'tee' command will let you see what's going on as it writes the
list for later use.

for the packages which have a lot of dependencies.
You can also prepare a list of packages, one per line, like:

www/firefox
security/sudo
devel/subversion-base

and then run, from the root of your pkgsrc tree:

for i in `cat /path/to/list.txt`; do \
 ( cd $i && make fetch ); \
done

You can incorporate the fetch-list target here as you see fit.

To speed up builds, I often use MAKE_JOBS=2 (I have two cores/CPUs).
This requires me to keep a list of packages which I know are not
MAKE_JOBS_SAFE but do not have this included in their makefiles and
add some makefile rules to set MAKE_JOBS to empty if one of those were
encountered.  You can just add MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=no to each makefile, but
I find it easier to work from a central list of them than modify
makefiles all over the place.

Regards,

--Blair

--
Support WFMU-FM: free-form radio for the masses!
<http://www.wfmu.org/>

"The frivolity and boredom which unsettle the established order, the
vague foreboding of something unknown, these are the heralds of
approaching change.  The gradual crumbling that left unaltered the
face of the whole is cut short by a sunburst which, in one flash,
illuminates the features of the new world."  --G.W.F. Hegel,
_Phenomenology of Spirit_ 5:11