Re: feature request: mail <MESSAGE

On Thu, Mar 22, 2007 at 01:36:23PM -0400, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 12:51:34 -0400
>"George Georgalis" <george%galis.org@localhost> wrote:
>

>> >I believe that that conflicts with builds using pkg_comp -- at least,
>> >I had trouble because of that.
>>
>> haven't used pkg_comp, is the error because there is no mailer in
>> the chroot? what do you think should be done?
>>
>I don't know why...  Here are a few messages from December about it;
>that's all I know:
>

>From: "Steven M. Bellovin" <smb%cs.columbia.edu@localhost>
>To: Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd%2006.salmi.ch@localhost>
>Cc: pkgsrc-users%NetBSD.org@localhost
>Subject: Re: 'postdrop' problem when using pkg_comp
>Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 10:27:49 -0500
>Sender: pkgsrc-users-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost
>
>On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:28:41 +0100
>Jukka Salmi <j+nbsd%2006.salmi.ch@localhost> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Steven M. Bellovin --> pkgsrc-users (2006-12-27 09:09:49 -0500):
>> > On several of my machines, I did a massive package rebuild using
>> > pkg_comp.  It worked fine on most of them, but on one I got many
>> > messages like this:
>> >
>> > postdrop: warning: mail_queue_enter: create file
>> > maildrop/991808.8467: No such file or directory
>> >
>> > I assume it had to do with invoking postfix in a chrooted
>> > environment. However, I've never seen this before, and it didn't
>> > happen on the other machines.  Any theories?  (Most of the machines
>> > in question run -current, including the failing one and some of the
>> > successful ones; one is on 3.0.1.)
>>
>> Is PKGSRC_MESSAGE_RECIPIENTS set in the chroot's mk.conf? If yes, try
>> unsetting it.
>>
>Good catch; that was it.

it looks like postfix is trying to queue up a message in its
maildrop directory, which wasn't created (nor would be expected
to work) in the chroot environment. Maybe it's just a matter of
setting a MX that will relay mail? I've not used postfix, not
sure. But I expect no queue would be difficult to make happen.

adding a sendmail program, socket, etc for chroot environment
seems kinda heavy. the error above points at the show stopper.
maybe PKGSRC_MESSAGE_FILE could be used to specify where MESSAGE
is concatenated to on package build? That might be handy in a
non-chroot env too.

// George