Re: How to use on OpenBSD? (has Perl-5.8.8 in OBSD base)

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 17:55:46 +0300
"The masked-coder known as Randux" <randux%Safe-mail.net@localhost> wrote:

> Thanks Steve. Sorry for top posting, I'm trying to answer a lot of
> mails quickly and I am using this poor webmail interface instead of
> claws ;)
>
> I'm abandoning pkgsrc on OpenBSD for now. Claws-mail works great for
> me on NetBSD, but I really had to do some major arm-twisting to get
> it built properly on NetBSD because I wanted many of the plugins
> which are Claws defaults, but they're not NetBSD defaults (gpg,
> gpginline, gpgmime, gpgme). It may well be that I don't know how to
> set the right options so I finally just edited the three makefiles.
> It was quite frustrating. I had built it from source on Linux and I
> did everything from the configure and it built and worked as I wanted
> the first go. I had a few tries on NetBSD before I realized why no
> plugins got built. It's a bit confusing because the defaults on
> pkgsrc version aren't the same as they are on the Claws website which
> lists the plugins that come with the product. If you think about it
> makes sense because maybe you don't want gnupg as a pkgsrc dependency
> for Claws, but it's easy to get a bit lost in the process of building
> it, especially if you've built it on other systems.
>
> Since as far as I know the build doesn't require dependencies for
> plugins in order to built the plugins themselves (in other words I
> should be able to build all of Claws mail including gpg support even
> if I've not installed gnupg on the system) may I request that all of
> the default plugins (that is, plugins that Claws-mail lists as
> "standard plugins") be built with claws as a default?

I'm afraid I don't really understand your request.  The plug-ins are
separate packages, and will remain so under my new version.  This is as
it should be, because some of them drag in a lot of other, umm, stuff.
The S/MIME plug-in is a glaring example of that.  And that's the right
thing to do -- you don't want the S/MIME plug-in appearing to be
available when it won't run because you haven't built gpg2 and all of
its dependencies.

Tentatively, I have gpg as an option to claws-mail, with smime,
notification, trayicon, and dillo-viewer as separate packages.  Each
will bring in whatever other goo it needs.