Re: How to use on OpenBSD? (has Perl-5.8.8 in OBSD base)

-------- Original Message --------
From: Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost>
Apparently from:
bounces-pkgsrc-users-owner-randux=safe-mail.net%NetBSD.org@localhost
To: pkgsrc-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: How to use on OpenBSD? (has Perl-5.8.8 in OBSD base)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:46:19 +0100

> On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 05:54:52PM +0200, The masked-coder known as Randux
> wrote:
> > I'm not sure what you mean by mixing. Are you saying that I should
> > install multiple sets of perl and whatever else pkgsrc thinks is a
> > dependency? That sounds like it would be a lot worse than fixing the
> > overlap.
>
> "Fixing the overlap" is a lot of work. It simply doesn't pay off.
> Different policies for search pathes, lack of integration, vendor
> patching -- this is the box of pandora, it was done at one point and is
> a mess. Perl is simply not sufficiently self-contained to make it
> attractive. It also dramatically increases the change of almost
> impossible to trace down issue. No way.
>
> Joerg

I'm not asking anyone to change anything, I'm just trying to understand what
you are saying because I didn't see an explanation in the pkgsrc user guide of
this issue.

Is it correct that if you use pkgsrc on OpenBSD that you are basically
maintaining two parallel sets of everything that happens to be common?

Thanks again,
Rand