Re: How to use on OpenBSD? (has Perl-5.8.8 in OBSD base)

On Tue, Mar 13, 2007 at 05:54:52PM +0200, The masked-coder known as Randux
wrote:
> I'm not sure what you mean by mixing. Are you saying that I should
> install multiple sets of perl and whatever else pkgsrc thinks is a
> dependency? That sounds like it would be a lot worse than fixing the overlap.

"Fixing the overlap" is a lot of work. It simply doesn't pay off.
Different policies for search pathes, lack of integration, vendor
patching -- this is the box of pandora, it was done at one point and is
a mess. Perl is simply not sufficiently self-contained to make it
attractive. It also dramatically increases the change of almost
impossible to trace down issue. No way.

Joerg