Re: Fw: Re: GTK inconsistency

Przemys?aw Pawe?czyk wrote:
> But before I explain my problems to you further let me quote other post I've
> send to netbsd-help%mail.netbsd.org@localhost:

> == "I used to run nedit so I've had to setup iso-8859-2 char set. But I use
> Sylpheed as well which is gtk2 application. Too many times I got the message:
> GLib: Cannot convert message: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8' to
> 'pl_PL.ISO8859-2' is not supported.

What are your locale settings? Run this:

        $ env | grep -E 'LC_|LANG'

Do you explicitely want ISO-8859-2 as your locale character set? Or do you just
want Polish messages? Do you want to encode any files as ISO-8859-2? If you
just want Polish messages, it's best to use these settings:

        LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
        LC_MESSAGES=pl_PL

> I'm also interested in scripting with Xdialog which is of GTK+ origin. Why
> cron reports me:
> Xdialog: Error initializing the GUI...
> Do you run under X11 with GTK+ v1.2.0+ installed ?

You'd have to trace it, look at the code or ask the developers of Xdialog.

> As you know Nedit can be set with 1 byte char set. More on this I like to
> have English environment well within my system but Polish characters when
> typing text (that's been set via X86Config file). In the meantime Sylpheed is
> UTF enabled so it needs conversion utility (which one? I dunno!).

I haven't used Sylpheed in a long time but all one needs is iconv() and NetBSD's
iconv() supports UTF-8 <-> ISO-8859-2 conversion. If there are specific
problems,
you might want to ask on the Sylpheed mailing list first.

--
Christian