Re: Fw: Re: GTK inconsistency

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 22:31:08 +0100
Lubomir Sedlacik <salo%Xtrmntr.org@localhost> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 13, 2006 at 05:06:30AM -0600, Przemysław Pawełczyk wrote:
> > Taking the advice seriously I'm posting my remarks and questions to
> > port-i386@, netbsd-users@, and pkgsrc-users@ at the same time.
>
> perhaps it's because people have no idea what are you talking about.
> I certainly don't.

Hi,

Perhaps my English is less polish(ed) than my Polish.

Let me say I've jump over into the NetBSD territory from neighbour Debian
junkyard. There was no problem to setup good looking themes and smooth fonts
for both the GTK applications - GTK+ and GTK2.

But before I explain my problems to you further let me quote other post I've
send to netbsd-help%mail.netbsd.org@localhost:

==
"I used to run nedit so I've had to setup iso-8859-2 char set. But I use
Sylpheed as well which is gtk2 application. Too many times I got the message:
GLib: Cannot convert message: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8' to
'pl_PL.ISO8859-2' is not supported.

What should I do to untie the Gordian knot?

I'm also interested in scripting with Xdialog which is of GTK+ origin. Why cron
reports me:
Xdialog: Error initializing the GUI...
Do you run under X11 with GTK+ v1.2.0+ installed ?

Yes, I got it installed and gtk2 as well.
==

As you know Nedit can be set with 1 byte char set. More on this I like to have
English environment well within my system but Polish characters when typing
text (that's been set via X86Config file). In the meantime Sylpheed is UTF
enabled so it needs conversion utility (which one? I dunno!).

When I said "I badly need gtk:" and listed the main gtk+ and gtk2 components I
knew very well what I wanted to say. How the hell can I make the two
applications look on my desktop the same and have no problems with char set
conversions without cohesive GTK policy within NetBSD packages?

Then I only gently asked for a quick look into available binaries as far as GTK
is concerned. All the files I'd like to see in NetBSD repository and which I
used in GNU/Debian Linux are dispersed through all three flavors of BSD distros
- FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and NetBSD. That's the cause I suggested to use my "xBSD
Binary File Index Browser".
Look to the output of the script (theme-switch was searched; f: FreeBSD, n
NetBSD, o: OpenBSD):

=== grep on >>> All BSD packages <<<

[01 f] gtk-theme-switch-1.0.1_3.tbz          09/17/06     03:54:00   16 KB

[01 n] gtk2-theme-switch-2.0.0rc2nb6.tgz     12-Oct-2006  08:40       13kB

[01 o] gtk-theme-switch-1.0.1.tgz            23-Sep-2006  19:05        14K
[02 o] gtk2-theme-switch-2.0.0rc2p2.tgz      23-Sep-2006  19:05        12K

Please use the "browser" and check other GTK files. All are scattered throu
xBSD. In other words NetBSD lacks some gtk files.

I also replied to Tobias Nygren who didn't catch up what I ment. That remark
forced me to proliferate my questions to other mailing groups:

==
> I don't understand exactly what you're trying to get at,
> but your inquiry is probably better suited for the pkgsrc-users@ list.

One of the neverending story of NetBSD is whether it is suitable for Desktop
usage or not. If you want to have a nice looking apps you have to have the
right tools to do it. One of them are gtk-theme-switches etc. as far as both
gtk-1.2 and gtk-2.0 libs are used. Some of the tools are in binary forms. But
the GTK Subject is rather kinda orphanned in NetBSD as I don't want to say
botched up.

NetBSd has a lot of mailing lists. Too mach as far as I'm concerned. I've wrote
here, I hope many developers reads most of them. If some of you is in close
contact to programmers my list was sent to the right address.

I hope I've cleared up your misunderstanding.
==

Did I explain the subject I came with to all the mailing groups in full now?

Regards,
warpman

--
warpman%kv.net.pl@localhost