Re: Could gimp be removed from the sane-frontends dependencies ?

  The graphics/sane-frontends package has a dependency on gimp which
  seems to me to be completely unnecessary (I commented it out and the
  package built and installed fine and scanimage works.

xscanimage functions as a gimp plugin.  It works on my system, after
symlinking it following xscanimage(1):

  ln -s /usr/pkg/bin/xscanimage ~/.gimp-2.3/plug-ins/

It would be fair to make this settable PKG_OPTIONS, and I'd say it
should default to gimp support - I would expect most people with
scanners to want gimp.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost>