Re: mailman group?

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Timo Schoeler wrote:
i'm trying to start a new mailman installation; wrt above discussion about wrapper scripts and GIDs i ran into the problem that, build with

MAILMAN_USER?=          mailman
MAILMAN_GROUP?=         mailman
MAILMAN_MAILGROUP?=     postfix

(default for postfix)

maillog says:

Jun 1 10:48:15 blackjack-a postfix/pipe[5179]: 7513C3506F9: to=<|/usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman%riscworks.net@localhost>, orig_to=<Mailman-request%riscworks.net@localhost>, relay=cyrus, delay=0, status=bounced (data format error. Command output: |/usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman%riscworks.net@localhost: Bad protocol )

i get following error, when running failing instruction manually:

/usr/pkg/lib/mailman/mail/mailman request mailman%riscworks.net@localhost
Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail
wrapper script to be executed as group "postfix", but
the system's mail server executed the mail script as
group "wheel".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the
script as group "postfix", or re-run configure,
providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=wheel'.

as it's no production system yet i tried building mailman with MAILMAN_MAILGROUP?= wheel but then the above mentioned phenomenon turns 180 degrees, it wants to be run as mailman...

any clues?

Not really. After the recent sendmail removal I've migrated to postfix, and it seems the proper MAILMAN_MAILGROUP there is 'nobody'. At least that works for me. I use stock NetBSD postfix plus mailman, I see that you have 'cyrus' in there, which I don't use. I've also never seen the "Bad procol" thing.

 - Hubert