Re: (GNOME) Totem and "Mutlimedia Systems Selector" issues

Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> >> Can't the "xvidcore" package be used instead? I think xvid and divx are
> >> supposed to be compatible (or am I mistaken?) and I did report some
> >> patches to make sure it would (again) compile on non-i386 machines.
> >
> >Hmm, are you sure?  I always thought xvid and divx were different
> >codecs, although very similar ones.  If xvidcore is indeed
> >divx-compatible... that'd be great.

> Doesn't say if its compatible with DivX or not.

As far as I recall, XviD is actually a superset of DivX. It's
all MPEG-4 anyway but DivX implements less of it. The website
of XviD mentions "Improved compliancy with DivX profiles" in
the release messages. I have yet to come across a video file
that cannot be played with MPlayer. DRM dirt doesn't count.

--
Christian