Re: (GNOME) Totem and "Mutlimedia Systems Selector" issues

On 5/26/06, Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakheshster%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Can you try installing x11/gst-plugins0.10-x11 by hand and seeing if
> it solves your problems?  Thanks.

Will try that out and let you know, Julio. :)

Meanwhile, one workaround I found yesterday to get totem working, is
to uninstall totem and install totem-xine. I am not very sure on what
difference it makes -- possibly a different backend or something for
output, I dunno. You can't have both together on the same machine, coz
they install files to the same locations and do the same things, so
you gotta uninstall one and then install the other.

Just thought I'd post it here for future reference. Meanwhile I'll
install gst-plugins0.10-x11 if that makes some difference.

In my experience, totem-xine will work better than the Gstreamer based
version.  pkgsrc currently lacks packages for many Gstreamer plugins,
which means that it will have less support for different media types
than the xine-based version.  However, these plugins are easy to add
in general.

Unfortunately, the lack of some libraries makes it impossible to build
some plugins.  For example, the DivX codec is shipped in binary form
for Linux but not for NetBSD, which means that you cannot use the DivX
gstreamer plugin under this OS.  Xine can open these files because it
uses a compatibility layer to use these (win32?) plugins, as mplayer
does.

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong!  I have not put much
interest in gstreamer under NetBSD because of the above.

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84%gmail.com@localhost>
The Julipedia - http://julipedia.blogspot.com/