Using gpg with sylpheed?

Is anyone successfully using gpg with sylpheed 2.2.0?  Any time I try
to sign something, it says

        (sylpheed:821): Sylpheed-WARNING **: pgp_sign(): signing failed: User

I've groveled through sylpheed, gpgme, and libgpg-error and haven't even
figured out what the message means...

'ls' shows that my gpg configuration file is being read, but none of my
other files, including specifically my keyring, are being touched.  I'm
asking here because I see no mention of any such problems in the
sylpheed archives; I'm wondering if it's NetBSD- or pkgsrc-specific.