Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 5.0_STABLE/x86_64 2009-07-24 10:40

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 21:18:46 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 01:01:04PM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > OK, so the man page should have been built under ${WRKSRC} in this
> > case, right?  I assume that the builder has access to ${WRKSRC} due to
> > either running as root or setting it to some place they have access to.
>
> The installation should prefix all path names with ${DESTDIR}, which is
> set to ${WRKSRC}/.destdir. This bulk build is running unprivileged
> builds as user pbulk for those packages that are marked to support it.
> That's why writing to /usr/pkg fails.

I understand.  What I don't understand is what thinks that I am trying
to write to /usr/pkg.  My PLIST simply mentions "man/man1/generate.1"
with no leading slash.  Isn't that ${WRKSRC}/.destdir/man... which the
user has permissions to?

> > > The difference between user-destdir and destdir is just whether this
> > > happens as normal unprivileged user or as root.
> >
> > And if unprivileged then the user should have access to everything as
> > long as no full path names (e.g. /etc/myapp.conf) are used.
>
> Yes. It is generally nice if packages honor VARBASE and PKGSYSCONFDIR,
> which is what it boils down to.

Not relevant to this package.  Two binaries and a man page is all I
install from the package.

> > @comment $NetBSD: PLIST,v 1.1.1.1 2004/08/21 14:56:44 darcy Exp $
> > bin/generate
> > bin/rgenerate
> > man/man1/generate.1
> >
> > I would have thought that the build system could handle such a simple
> > installation without the maintainer needing to jump through hoops.
>
> My comment about using do-install is related to three problems. First of
> all, the existing rules don't honor DESTDIR. Either the variables in the
> Makefile have to be overwritten or the result patched. Second, it tries
> to change the permissions of the bin directory. That's a no-no. Third,
> it would be nice if the automatic stripping of binaries was inherited,
> but that is just nice.

OK, maybe I am starting to see a glimmer of something here.  Is it
simply that DESTDIR support is only half baked and that I need to
kluge it a bit in the MAKEFILE?  Do I set MANDIR to something?  It
seems that whatever I wind up doing in my Makefile should really be
handled globally elsewhere.

There's another question too.  How come no other bulk build has this
problem with the same package?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/