Re: pkgsrc NetBSD 5.0_STABLE/x86_64 2009-07-24 10:40

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 22:19:31 +0200
Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%britannica.bec.de@localhost> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 04:11:58PM -0400, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > I can't see why this package fails to install its man page when 97% of
> > the packages install just fine.
>
> The package has user-destdir set. It can't write to /usr/pkg.

I thought that I made that change to fix something else but I guess I
don't understand DESTDIR all that well.  The docs say...

DESTDIR support means that a package installs into a staging directory,
not the final location of the files. Then a binary package is created
which can be used for installation as usual. There are two ways: Either
the package must install as root ("destdir") or the package can install
as non-root user ("user-destdir").

I read this as meaning that setting it to "user-destdir" tells the build
system that the package could be installed into the user's own space if
desired but could be installed by root as well.  Setting it to "destdir"
tells it that there is something about the package (e.g. needs to be
setuid root) that makes it impossible to install as a normal user.
This package is 100% user space and could be installed by a normal user
into "~/mypkg" or something like that.

If my understanding is incorrect then it seems to me that there would
be few if any packages that could be installed by non-root.  Do I need
to add "${DESTDIR}" in front of every line in PLIST?  I thought that
the build system would handle that for me.  I can't find any other
packages that do so.

Or do I just set it to "destdir" and not worry about it?

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/