pkgsrc-Bugs archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: pkg/60796 (pkgsrc: distinfo.awk writes a corrupt distinfo when a tool produces no output)



The following reply was made to PR pkg/60796; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: =?utf-8?B?6J+55r6k57+U5aSq?= <zakinko%snowrabbit.org@localhost>
To: "riastradh%netbsd.org@localhost" <riastradh%NetBSD.org@localhost>
Cc: pkg-manager%netbsd.org@localhost,
 pkgsrc-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost,
 gnats-admin%netbsd.org@localhost,
 gnats-bugs%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: pkg/60796 (pkgsrc: distinfo.awk writes a corrupt distinfo when a
 tool produces no output)
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2026 12:12:29 +0900

 Hi Taylor,
 
 I'm sorry for taking up your time with this.  You're right that
 TOOLS_DIGEST=3Dtrue is not a real scenario, and I should not have made
 it the whole report.
 
 What I actually hit was in CI, in freshly bootstrapped pkgsrc on
 FreeBSD 14.4 and NetBSD 11.0 amd64 VMs.  After replacing one patch
 in security/polkit, makepatchsum left distinfo with lines run
 together,
 
   SHA1 (patch-src_polkitagent_polkitagenthelper-pam.c) =3D SHA1 =
 (patch-src_polkit_polkitunixprocess.c) =3D ...
 
 and make returned 0.  The next build skipped the patch as "invalid
 checksum" and failed with the very errors the patch fixes.  The logs
 are here:
 
   https://github.com/zakinko/pkgsrc-zakinko/actions/runs/35798846904  =
 (FreeBSD)
   https://github.com/zakinko/pkgsrc-zakinko/actions/runs/35799000991  =
 (NetBSD)
 
 The same steps on my own NetBSD machine worked, and I never found
 out why digest printed nothing in those VMs; I had discarded
 makepatchsum's stderr.  So it is the XY situation you describe: I
 worked around it there and reported the symptom without finding the
 cause.  TOOLS_DIGEST=3Dtrue was only my way of reproducing the
 symptom.
 
 For some context, I left my job in April and start a new one in
 October, and with the deadline for setting up my new work machines
 close, I was sloppier with the reproduction than I should have been.
 Again, I'm sorry for the trouble.
 
 Best,
 Showta
 
 > 2026/09/30 6:57=E3=80=81riastradh%netbsd.org@localhost =
 <riastradh%NetBSD.org@localhost>=E3=81=AE=E3=83=A1=E3=83=BC=E3=83=AB:
 >=20
 > Synopsis: pkgsrc: distinfo.awk writes a corrupt distinfo when a tool =
 produces no output
 >=20
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
 > State-Changed-By: riastradh%NetBSD.org@localhost
 > State-Changed-When: Tue, 29 Sep 2026 21:57:52 +0000
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >> 	  DIGEST=3Dtrue ...:  8 lines, "SHA1 (" 15 times, 4 lines =
 damaged,
 >> 	                    the SHA512 lines gone, exit 1
 >> 	  WC=3Dtrue ...:      "Size (a.tar.gz) =3D $NetBSD$ bytes" =
 twice, exit 1
 >>=20
 >> 	In a package directory the patch case is
 >>=20
 >> 	  make TOOLS_DIGEST=3Dtrue makepatchsum
 >=20
 > Yes, if you set the variables for internal tools to point at programs
 > that...are not those tools, and do not behave like those tools, the
 > results will not be sensible.  I bet your packages will get built =
 wrong
 > if you also set CC=3Dtrue, RM=3Dtrue, MV=3Dtrue, and LN=3Dtrue!
 >=20
 > Solution: don't set TOOLS_DIGEST=3Dtrue.
 >=20
 > Why did you file this bug?  Did you somehow come upon a scenario where
 > TOOLS_DIGEST gets set to true?  If so, this is what we call an `XY
 > problem': you stumbled upon a problem X (TOOLS_DIGEST got set to =
 true),
 > you observed symptom Y (digest is silently built wrong), and you asked
 > for help with putting a band-aid on symptom Y instead of figuring out
 > why X is happening.
 >=20
 > Or did you prompt an LLM to find bugs in pkgsrc and just copy & paste
 > its hallucinations for NetBSD and pkgsrc developers to waste their =
 time
 > on?  If you did that, please don't.
 >=20
 >=20
 >=20
 



Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index