NetBSD-Users archive

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index][Old Index]

Re: dual boot installation with UEFI




-- 
 Secured with Tuta Mail: 
 https://tuta.com/free-email


Sep 29, 2026, 10:03 by ea1abz%gmail.com@localhost:

>
>
> El 29/9/26 a las 18:37, Jeff escribió:
>
>> Well, I am feeling very foolish now. During my latest round of trying to get this working, while referring to a different section of the Gentoo GRUB wiki, I noticed that it is necessary to give an output argument to grub-mkconfig, which I had not been doing, so it is entirely possible that any or all of the previous suggestions would have worked, had I actually written them to /boot/grub/grub.conf.
>>
>
> Oh, I also read Gentoo help and also forgot that detail!
>
>> However, when I realized this I was in the midst of crafting a new 40_custom file based on what I found here: https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub/html_node/NetBSD.html
>>
>> This is what I came up with:
>>
>>
>> menuentry 'NetBSD 11.0' {
>>
>>
>>          insmod part_gpt
>>
>>
>>          set root=(hd0,gpt7)
>>
>>
>>          knetbsd /netbsd -v
>>
>>
>> }
>>
>> And it seems to be working fine.  Thank you so much to everyone who tried to help me with this!  If you see any potential problems with what I'm doing above, please let me know.
>>
>> Jeff
>>
>
> That works fine for booting the kernel directly, but I find more convenient to boot the NetBSD bootloader first. You have more control just in case you need it.
> (I think, as a NetBSD newbie, experts may correct me..)
>
> Regards.
> Ramiro.
>
That seems like a very reasonable point. I tried adding another entry in the form that you originally suggested, and it works, too.  So now I have both a direct boot GRUB menu entry and a chainload entry.

Thanks again!
Jeff


Home | Main Index | Thread Index | Old Index