Re: Mail delivery from Postfix to remote IMAP

First off let me second what Steffen says!

At Mon, 22 Apr 2024 21:15:08 +0200, Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> wrote:
Subject: Re: Mail delivery from Postfix to remote IMAP

> and neither can you change the
> envelope FROM address because bounces (as far as they happen) won't work.

I haven't verified this works right with Postfix, but if you're doing
forwarding with ~/.forward files then this should happen automatically.

It does of course mean bounces do end up going to the account on the
forwarding host, not the original sender, but this is (in theory) what
people using ~/.forward files want -- the forwarding itself caused the
bounce, not the initial delivery to the forwarded account, so sending
the message back to the original sender is arguably wrong.

Maybe you can increase your storage capacity and simply run local IMAP
service for all your domains and users?  Every modern IMAP client (MUA)
I've encountered has been able to easily handle multiple IMAP accounts,
and many of them have simple ways to aggregate all INBOXes, for example,
into one meta INBOX.

Kelowna, BC     +1 250 762-7675           RoboHack <woods%robohack.ca@localhost>