Re: Official cloud/live images ?

On 25.03.24 17:19, Greg A. Woods wrote:

Hi,

are there any official live images that allow direct login via ssh
(no password), which can directly be used for cloud / continous
integration jobs ?

I would think that would be a very bad idea for a publicly distributed
official OS image!

note that those images are only meant to be used by some cloud
infrastructure that's handling proper security isolation (in those cases
nobody except the host could even reach the ssh port).

FreeBSD does have those images:

https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/CI-IMAGES/

(not sure whether "CI" here stands for continuous integration or cloud
infrastructure)

I would think it should be trivial to take a copy of the official image,
modify it as desired, then use that modified copy for one's own uses.

In context of public infrastructures, it's not that easy. Besides the
need for some appropriate storage place (where ci jobs can fetch it
from) it's also a matter of reproducability and trust.

For example, if I submit my on private image to freedesktop.org, the
whole org needs to trust me I didn't mess something up. And we have to
repeat all steps for each new upstream release.

Having an official image, where I directly can ssh into would skip that
all. (with FreeBSD we're already doing it that way).

It would be easier if I somehow could inject a script (eg. by separate
volume) that's handling my configuration.

--mtx

--
---
Hinweis: unverschlüsselte E-Mails können leicht abgehört und manipuliert