From: tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost <tlaronde%kergis.com@localhost>
Sent: Friday, March 8, 2024 2:43 PM
To: Martin Husemann <martin%duskware.de@localhost>
Cc: Derrick Lobo <derrick.lobo%givex.com@localhost>; netbsd-users%netbsd.org@localhost
Subject: Re: EXT MAIL : Re: USB install is slow

On Fri, Mar 08, 2024 at 04:57:00PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 08, 2024 at 03:52:15PM +0000, Derrick Lobo wrote:
> > I ended just untaring the sets and running etcupdate as that was
> > much quicker
>
> Huh? If that was much quicker (you were running the same kernel, from
> the install image?) - where did the upgrade spend all the additional time?
> Extracting sets should be the major part, plus a bit of "postinstall"
> where it hashes all the (new with -10) SSL certificates (and the
> script doing so is suboptimal). Neither should take even close to 10
> minutes on amd64 hardware from the last 10 years or so.

A shot in the dark: there is a problem report on pkgsrc mailing list linked with tar and extended attributes.

In the 10.* series, extended attributes have been added to libc (man 3 acl).

Furthermore, modifications have been made, concerning extended attributes, to UFS (with a problem of incompatibility).

Possible culprit: tar and extended attributes (libc, kernel, filesystem), involving acrobatics costing a lot of time.
--
        Thierry Laronde <tlaronde +AT+ kergis +dot+ com>
                     http://www.kergis.com/