Re: x86_64 assembly Hello World

On Sun, Feb 11, 2024 at 10:39:36AM +0100, Fekete Zoltán wrote:
Hi There!

I have played with GNU as and ld, and subsequently created a "Hello World!"
program, which I could not find anywhere else so far.

There are examples (including  x86_64 and i386) installed in
/usr/share/examples/asm/hello

It is a bit controversial if this examples are good, the prefered way for most assembly programs is to link against libc and get the NetBSD marker
note from the libc startup code (src/lib/csu/common/sysident.S).

Martin

Thank you for the reference. My intention here was simply to create something comparable to the mentioned https://wiki.netbsd.org/examples/netbsd_assembly page. A web search for "NetBSD assembly" brings up this page as the first result. This page demonstrates how simple barebone hardware code operates without relying on linked libraries. I found it intriguing to include something that works on amd64, similar to the existing 32-bit version, for educational purposes.

FeZ