Re: mutt and gmail on NetBSD

Hello,

I am trying to set up mutt with gmail on NetBSD 9.3. I can
successfully fetch my mail, but I cannot send email from mutt. The
error is "No authenticators available". I get it from the command line
and interactively from mutt:

$ echo "test from mutt" | mutt -s "test from mutt" me%gmail.com@localhost
TLSv1.3 connection using TLSv1.3 (TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384)
No authenticators available
Could not send the message.

My search about this error showed that people fixed it by installing
the cyrus-sasl-plain package on Fedora and Mac OS X. pkg_info and
pkgin list shows that I have the cyrus-sasl package installed.

My mutt configuration is:

$ cat ~/.muttrc
set ssl_starttls = yes
set ssl_force_tls = yes

set imap_user = 'me%gmail.com@localhost'
set imap_pass = `cat ~/.mutt/.gmailpass`

set from = 'me%gmail.com@localhost'
set realname = 'Me Me'

set folder = imaps://imap.gmail.com
set spoolfile = imaps://imap.gmail.com/INBOX
set postponed = "imaps://imap.gmail.com/[Gmail]/Drafts"

set header_cache = "~/.mutt/cache/headers/"
set message_cachedir = "~/.mutt/cache/bodies/"
set certificate_file = "~/.mutt/certificates"

set smtp_url = 'smtps://me%gmail.com@localhost@smtp.gmail.com'
set smtp_pass = $imap_pass

set move = no
set imap_keepalive = 900

I am using a special app password dedicated to mutt only that I
generated from my google account.

I tried setting smtp_authenticators

set smtp_authenticators = 'login'
or
set smtp_authenticators = 'gssapi:login'

with no success. I am able to fetch my mail over imap so the imap
settings must be correct. If anyone has their gmail working with mutt,
I will be very grateful for your help.

Regards
rambius

Hi Rambius,

I've just opened up my old .muttrc, and found this line:

set smtp_authenticators = 'gssapi:plain'

A haven't been using mutt for a while, but as far as I remember this was the heal of this problem.

If it does not work, try recompiling mutt in pkgsrc, and check if you had an option which enables this.

$ cd /usr/pkgsrc/mail/mutt
$ make show_options

Hope this helps.

Regards,