Re: Is it possible to install NetBSD from Ventoy?

On Wed, 13 Dec 2023 at 17:58, John McCue <jmclists%jmcunx.com@localhost> wrote:

> I never heard of it, but what image did you copy to the drive ?

The standard ISO file.

> I looked at the WEB page and this quote from the page indicates
> to me it will not correctly write the image to the USB Drive:

You don't write an image to anything. You copy a file. It's a normal
FAT32 filesystem with as many ISO files as will fit and it generates a
boot menu on the fly every boot. It works on x86-32, x86-64, BIOS and
UEFI.

> FWIW, after I dd(1) an amd64 install image to a USB

The point of Ventoy is avoiding `dd` and being able to store 20-30
bootable ISOs on a single USB key.

I have tested it extensively with Win7, Win10, multiple Linux distros,
FreeBSD and other OSes.

Some OSes do fail though: AROS, Oberon/A2, Haiku, OS/2, and WinXP
(which does not support booting from USB key at all).

P.S.

> I looked at the WEB page

Why the block caps? It's not an acronym or initialism

--
Liam Proven ~ Profile: https://about.me/liamproven
Email: lproven%cix.co.uk@localhost ~ gMail/gTalk/FB: lproven%gmail.com@localhost