Re: How big should wd0e (/var) be

On Mon, Dec 11, 2023 at 06:07:57PM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Yes, but if / isn't the whole disk or really large, you run into the
> same space issue with / that you did with /var.

Of course there are always limits but avoiding unnecessary partitioning
prevents the situation of watching one partition filling up and
forlornly looking at the huge free space on another one and wishing you
had made better choices.

The laptop I am on at the moment has two partitions, / and /home and
/home is only there because it is on CGD.

> On my current, non-space-challenged system which has 32G of RAM and a 4T
> SSD, I have
>   40 GB swap

Interesting that you have gone with the old 1.5X RAM for swap.  I
thought that came from the ancient days where every page had to be
backed by swap when it was in use which has not been true for a very
long time.  I know that you said that extra 50Gb would not make much
difference to your ZFS but just calling it out :)

--
Brett Lymn
--

"We are were wolves",