Re: 10.0 ipv6 "autohost" behavior

On Nov 14, 2023, at 6:36 AM, David Brownlee <abs%absd.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hi
>
> To have dhcpcd to remain running in manager mode to avoid that exit
> you'll want -M in dhcpcd_flags
>
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf has
>
> dhcpcd=NO           dhcpcd_flags="-qM"      # For ifconfig_XXX=dhcp.
>
> and setting dhcpcd_flags in rc.conf will overwrite that, so
> dhcpcd_flags="-qM -6 hme0" should work for you (you might want to drop
> -q if you prefer more chatty boot output :)

Thanks for the reply and info.  I just put -M on there and indeed it does fork and persist.  It mentioned “timed out” (i.e. DHCPv6 requests) but this doesn’t seem to bubble up to an rc failure log (good).

I’m letting this run to make sure it manages RAs/lifetimes/etc as I expect.  Not that I doubt the software per se I’ve just never really used dhcpcd.

Apple Homepods use Thread networking and thereby announce a ULA prefix so I asked my wife to unplug ours to see that prefix deprecate and come back (at least thats what I expect to happen).  Can’t be disrupting our actual internet during the day :)