Re: dhcpd(8) and unused or old MAC addresses

rockyhotas%firemail.cc@localhost writes:

>> But basically you shouldn't care, unless you want your IP address space
>> tidy.  If that's what you want, then you probably should configure your
>> dhcpd:
> [...]
>>   statically assign (NOT in the pool!) in dhcpcd addresses to specific
>>   devices based on IP address or client-id (you can steal these lines
>>   from the lease file) organized in some way that makes senes to you,
>>   like a block of 8 or 10 for one persons phone-type devices, a block
>>   for accees points, etc.
> [...]
>> The basic expression is
>>   host foo {
>>     hardware ethernet bar;
>>     fixed-address 192.168.100.11;
>>   }
>
> I am not sure that I understood what you are meaning. Are you
> suggesting to explicitly specify in /etc/dhcpd.conf some entries for
> some selected devices, so that - if they make a dhcp request - they
> always get the same IP, fully controlled by me?

Yes, that is exactly what I am suggesting.

I identify every device on my network and organize them as if I am
assigning static IP addresses, but I do it with many of those statements
inside the network declaration in dhcpcd.conf.  The hosts have no idea
and just do dhcp, but they all end up on the address I want for each.

I meant to suggest that if you don't like what just happens, then you
probably want even more control.   I don't see sort-of-caring about
which addresses are used, between not caring and really caring, as a
sensible place to be, but probably it is and I just don't understand
why.