Re: modern desktop update recommendations?

artin Husemann wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 05:18:04PM -0400, MLH wrote:
> >  port-amd64/56987 - non-critical medium priority sw-bug
> >     Certain usb devices can no longer be mounted on -current
> >
> > I posted it over a year ago but no action yet.
>
> "No action" is not quite correct. No solution certainly.
>
> This is nearly impossible to debug w/o the hardware at hands or you
> narrowing it down to a concrete change in the USB code.

As I mentioned earlier, there was a major change to the usb subsystem
(that I can't see reflected in the CHANGES.prev file at all) in
about March of 2022. I remember seeing the file changes when I did
a cvs update in (I believe) early April 2022. I waited a bit,
expecting more changes to come that would complete the fix so
devices could again be mounted but none came so I issued the PR in
May 2022.

> Is the GPS device easily available (e.g. via ebay)? What is it exactly?
> I think the PR does not tell. Regular storage devices are hopeless,
> you get different things with the same name every time you order one.

It was there. The main ones are GPS enabled cycling computers that
store ride data that can be accessed as a USB drive.  There is a
broad range of them, encompassing Garmin and Lezyne devices, mainly.
They are not cheap. I only have two different Lezyne ones left to
work with now.

> If you can not narrow it down (I failed to parse your reasoning in the
> PR) you need to build kernels with usb/umass debug enabled and start
> looking for where things go wrong (or differences to the working one
> when both have huge debug levels enabled).

I built with debug kernels and nothing showed up. For a while (as
related to this thread), I couldn't compile anything non-trivial
due to failing motherboard problems, but I have things working
again. Any chance we could go back to the PR thread and work with
me to try to solve this (as I asked in the PR thread after getting
the new box running)?

Thanks