What is the current Wireguard situation?

Hi folks,

What does the landscape look like regarding WireGuard? Is it supported at all?

I have found this (https://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2020/08/20/msg039393.html) old thread and some Reddit post, but that's about it. There is a wireguard-tools package, which I installed, but I can't seem to create a wg0 interface with ifconfig. It is my understanding that wireguard-tools only provides the userland stuff (i.e., config file reading and so on). Do I have to compile a custom kernel, or enable something somewhere?

Not sure if it matters, but I am running NetBSD/evbarm-earmv6hf 9.3.

Kind regards,
logothesia

--
https://useplaintext.email/ -- for a less bloated world.