Re: Help understanding pkgsrc snapshots

vom513 <vom513%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> So say instead of using the pkgsrc tarballs I did a CVS clone
> (checkout ? I’m more familiar with git).

Yes, checkout.   CVS creates a working tree locally.  Unlike git it does
not copy the repo.

> Then I build a couple of packages.  At some point after this I want to
> refresh from CVS - is there some top level “make clean” type thing I
> need to do ?  Whats the best practice here ?  I guess my thought is
> around the packages that I built now have various files they didn’t
> before by virtue of being built.  I would be concerned about pulling
> from CVS and the “base” files in these dirs having been changed/added
> etc.

Two related issues:

  With pkgsrc, you do "make package-install" and IMHO always want to
  "make clean" afterwards.  You can "make clean-depends", or you can set
    DEPENDS_TARGET=         bin-install clean
  in mk.conf to try to use binary packages and clean up afterwards.

  Separately from workdirs, after you update some package might be out
  of date.  My approach is pkg_rolling-replace; others have other
  aproaches.
  There used to be a nice wiki page about this, but it appears to have
  been deleted!