Observations of 9.3 vs 10.0 and possible problem

I’ve got two AMD systems that are similar in configuration.  An HP Z230 running NetBSD 9.3 and an HP-6200 running NetBSD 10.0_BETA.  On the 9.3 system I converted/encoded my video library containing some old movies and TV shows using ffmpeg4 with libx264 compression.  It all converted just fine.  Then I discovered that if I encoded the videos with libx265 I’d get much higher compression will little loss in quality, so I set up the HP-6200 to do this under NetBSD 10.0.  This is where it gets interesting!

On NetBSD-10.0 I was seeing about a 3-5% failure rate with set faults using ffmpeg5 doing libx265 encoding. On retry using ffmpeg with libx264 encoding the video aways encoded to successful completion.  And many times just retrying encoding with libx265 would complete successfully too.

So I tried doing the same thing on NetBSD-9.3 using ffmpege4 with libx265 encoding and I was seeing a higher failure rate, somewhere around 7-8%, usually on many of the same videos. But again here, encoding with libx264 always succeeded, but retries with libx265 never seemed to succeed on a video that had previously failed.

Naturally I assumed that problem is with libx265, and over the years many people have reported the same sorts of problems, but the maintainers have never been able to reliably reproduce the failures. Digging a bit deeper I see that the same version of libx265 (3.5) is used in both my ffmpeg4 on 9.3 and ffmpeg5 on 10.0.  BTW, I do have ffmpege4 built on my 10.0 system and it produces the same results as ffmpeg5.

What’s interesting is the the failure rate for encoding is about twice as high on the 9.3 system as it is on the 10.0 system, which leads me to believe it _could_ be an OS issue and not a libx265 one.  That and the fact that in many cases retries work on 10.0 but not on 9.3.

I then noticed PR 57188 and the suggested fix for 10.0.  I applied that fix and my failure rate on encoding seems to have dropped to about half of what I was seeing previously.  (Although this may be a Red Herring since retries seem to succeed about 60% of the time.)  I tried the same fix on my 9.3 system and the failure rate there seems unchanged, and retries don’t help.  I’m wondering if there’s a bug in 9.3 that got partially but not completely squashed in 10.0 which could explain this.

I wonder if anyone has some suggestions to help narrow down what’s happening and which pieces of software deserve the blame?